Figure Show: A Fine Line
Revised 6.4.2021 (supersedes all previous)
READ THIS DOCUMENT FULLY AS IMPORTANT INFORMATION HAS CHANGED
If you have any questions about submitting please call 941-365-2032.
- Exhibition Dates: September 2- October 1, 2021
- Online Submissions: July1- August 17 (closes 11:59pm)
- Notification of Acceptance: Artists will be notified by email if their work has been accepted into the exhibition no later than August 20.
- In Person Receiving Day for Accepted Artworks: Please deliver work in person on Friday, August 27 (10am-6pm).
- Shipping Accepted Artwork: Mailed Artwork must arrive by August 27.
- Award Winners Chosen & Notified: September 1, by 4pm.
- Opening Reception: Thursday September 2, 6pm.
- Artwork Pickup In Person: Monday October 4, 10-4pm
- Artwork Return Shipping Date: Monday October 4
All artworks WILL only be submitted online for jurying.
Awards will be chosen by the juror in person when all works are onsite and installed at Art Center Sarasota.
The juror for this exhibition commercial graphic designer and portrait artist, Craig Carl.
ABOUT THE EXHIBITION
This exhibition is open to all artists working in figurative practices to showcase at Art Center Sarasota (ACS). This show is open to all drawing media. Jurors will see all requested information except the artist’s name. ACS Exhibition Committee asks jurors to make all selections based solely on artistic merit.
In an effort to maintain best gallery practices, ACS implements the following rules and regulations for this juried exhibition. We ask that potential submitters read and adhere to the rules as we will not accept artworks that do not comply. Observing the following points ensures your artwork is exhibited in the best way possible. We appreciate your support.
At ACS, we are committed to free exchange of ideas, and believe that art can (and should) expose us to different perspectives, new ideas, and the experiences of others. As a community-based art center, we also seek to be open and welcoming to all. We therefore reserve the right to not display art that contains hate speech; contains racist, violent or cruel images or symbols; encourages racism, violence or cruelty; contains pornographic images; or vilifies or demeans individuals or groups of people. Fortunately, we rarely have to reject art for these reasons. But we reserve the right to do so, at our sole discretion. Thank you for respecting these guidelines.
All juried exhibitions require a NON-REFUNDABLE entry fee for each submission. In an effort to maintain best gallery practices, ACS implements the following rules and regulations for this juried exhibition. We ask that potential submitters read and adhere to the rules as we will not accept artworks that do not comply. Observing the following points ensures your artwork is exhibited in the best way possible.
- One Piece: $20 Members, $30 Non-members
- Two Pieces: $30 Members, $50 Non-members
- Three Pieces: $35 Members, $65 Non-members
Five Awards are given per show: First, Second, and Third Place plus two Merit Awards and four Special Awards. First, Second, Third, will reviece cash prizes. All winners are required to fill out a W9 form prior to receiving a cash prize.
UPLOADING IMAGES TO SUBMITTABLE
Submitted artwork images should be:
- high definition (uncropped on solid background)
- Must include: Artist Name, Title, Year, Medium, Dimensions in inches (HxWxD)
- Please indicate if framed or unframed (if framed please include the frame in the picture)
- Image format types are jpg and png and should be no larger than 3MB. See below for video requirements.
ORIGINALITY & PRINTS
- All entries must be original work completed within the last three years and not previously shown in any ACS show.
- Copies, reproductions, “giclée,” of original works of art, whether embellished or not, are not eligible for submission to juried exhibitions. However, prints such as photographs, lithographs, woodcuts, engravings, etching, screen prints, and digital works are acceptable as long as they are labeled as such, and numbered as an edition.
- Open editions are not accepted.
- Please be mindful of copyright infringements – Be original!
- Artwork submitted must be finished and not in-process upon the time of submission. All accepted artworks must be dry upon entry, if they are not, they will NOT be included in the exhibition.
- Open to all drawing mediums
- Maximum size for artwork is 36" x 36" in any direction.
TWO DIMENSIONAL ART
- All submitted artwork must be dry and ready to hang.
- Picture frame wire should not be above the frame. Picture frame wire is a multi strand wire. Do not use monofilament.
- No sawtooth hangers.
- Screw eyes/D-rings and hanging wire MUST be attached firmly to the back of the piece with screws.
- Please state the surface the work is on, ie. paper/canvas/metal/etc., including photographs.
- All framed artwork with glass/plexi should be clean and scratch free. The mat if it has one should be clean and smoothly cut.
- Frames must be in good condition (no scratches, chips or loose corners).
- Works on canvas must be framed or have finished edges.
- Gallery wrapped canvas is acceptable, provided that no staples are showing and the edges are clean and free of smudges and smears that are not in keeping with the stylistic intent of the artwork.
- If work is unframed, it will be installed with magnets
RECEIVING & SHIPPING OF ACCEPTED WORKS
- In person receiving for all accepted works is Friday, August 27, 10am-4pm.
- Mailed Artwork must arrive by August 27. All entries shipped to ACS should include a return shipping label. It is the artist’s responsibility to pay for shipping to and from the Art Center.
- ACS Hours of Operation: Monday - Friday 10am- 4pm, Saturday 12pm-4pm.
- Shipping address: Art Center Sarasota, 707 N. Tamiami Trail, Sarasota FL 34236.
- Please call if you have any questions. 941-365-2032
- The Exhibition Coordinator must be notified in advance if an unconventional method of presentation or hanging is required. Policies of the host gallery will prevail.
- Should your artwork be accepted and it is discovered to not be in compliance with the rules and regulations, the artist will be notified to collect the work immediately and the entry fee will be refunded.
- Placement of accepted artwork will be decided by the Exhibition Coordinator, please do not ask to change its location. Once artwork is installed, it is in its final location and cannot be moved.
- All artwork must be picked up on October 4th, 10am-4pm. If you cannot pick it up please arrange pickup. Any artwork not picked up by Monday October 4th will be charged $5 a day holding fee. Artwork not picked up after 30 days becomes the property of Art Center Sarasota.
Work accepted for an exhibition may not be substituted, nor will any be permitted to be withdrawn during the exhibition. Artworks cannot be picked before the end of the show due to press and advertising obligations.
STATEMENT OF RESPONSIBILITY
All entries are left at the owner’s risk. Although precautions are taken, the ACS is not responsible for damage or theft. Submission of work to any exhibition constitutes agreement on the part of the artist to provisions here set forth.
- All work on exhibit must be for sale. No POR (Price on Request) or NFS (Not for Sale) is permitted in a juried show unless specified in an exhibition prospectus.
- Artists who are ACS members receive payment of 60% of selling price.
- Artists who are Non-members receive payment of 50% of selling price.
- The artist is responsible for filing sales in accordance with State and Federal Tax regulations.
- All Artwork on exhibit at ACS must be sold on site or through the ACS website (when exhibits are online). Sales through third party dealers or entities are not permitted. Direct sale via the Artist is not permitted, this includes artwork on ARTSITE.
ACS will not disclose the name or contact information of a purchaser or exhibiting artist. Conversely, if either party of the sale requests contact, they may ask the ACS to release their own contact information to the opposite party. ACS will not follow up on connecting artists and purchasers after this request.
DISCLAIMER / PHOTO RELEASE
Exhibiting artists consent to the use of their name and the artworks image(s) for purposes of promotion and advertisement by ACS. The artist waives any claim, including any claim for invasion of the right of privacy or copyright, against ACS, its directors, officers, employees, and agents.