Thank you for considering submitting your artwork(s) online for the OPEN SEASON a National Juried Exhibition at Art Center Sarasota.
The jurying date for selection of online submitted artwork(s) for this exhibition is between November 23-24. You will be notified about inclusion or non-inclusion via email between November 24-25, 2019. Artworks that are selected will need to be dropped off or delivered by 4pm Saturday December 7, 2019, any delivery exception must be approved by the Exhibitions Coordinator. All artwork must arrive during gallery hours, 10am- 4pm Monday - Saturday. If you cannot make arrangements because of mailing please consider submitting in person on receiving day Tuesday December 3, 2019 between 10am - 6pm.
During the jurying process, the juror will view the online submissions on a large screen or on a laptop. The juror will reference the size of the artwork that you have provided. Please make sure that the image is high resolution up to 300 dpi and has no environmental or surrounding distractions-- that it is truly a picture of the artwork and not an in-process in the studio. All artworks must be complete upon entry, if they are not, they will NOT be juried for the exhibition.
Art Center Sarasota
707 N. Tamiami Tr. Sarasota, FL 34236
PH 941.365.2032 FX 941.366.0585
OPEN SEASON JURIED EXHIBITION RULES & REGULATIONS
revised 10.3.2019 (supersedes all previous)
The exhibition title “Open Season” is not meant to suggest a theme for the art submitted. This exhibition is aimed as an invitation to artists living in the United States to showcase their work at Art Center Sarasota.
In an effort to maintain best gallery practices, Art Center Sarasota (ACS) implements the following rules and regulations for this juried exhibition. We ask that potential submitters read and adhere to the rules as we will not accept artworks that do not comply. Observing the following points ensures your artwork is exhibited in the best way possible. We appreciate your support.
ORIGINALITY & PRINTS
• All entries must be original work completed within the last three years and not previously shown in any ACS show.
• Copies and reproductions of original works of art, whether embellished or not, are not eligible for submission to juried exhibitions. However, prints such as photographs, lithographs, woodcuts, engravings, etching, screen prints, and digital works are acceptable as long as they are labeled as such and numbered as an edition.
• Because of the misuse of the word “giclée,” ACS no longer refers to copies and reproductions of original works of art as such. Giclée refers to a method, not an object.
• Please be mindful of copyright infringements – BE ORIGINAL!
DIPTYCHS, TRIPTYCHS & QUADRIPTYCHS
• A Diptych, Triptych or Quadriptych is considered as one submission of artwork and must be priced as one individual piece. It must be submitted, charged, and labeled as such. The overall maximum size of the diptych, triptych or quadriptych may not exceed 8ft. x 8ft x 8ft. Please contact Exhibition Coordinator to discuss before submission of work.
• Maximum size for artwork is 8ft. in any direction. This rule applies only to the Open Season exhibition, and not any other of the Art Center’s regularly scheduled exhibits.
• Any entry weighing over 40 lbs. must be handled by the artist and prior arrangements for its placement made with the Exhibition Coordinator.
TWO DIMENSIONAL ART and FRAMING - visual example available at www.artsarasota.org/nextopencallartist
• All works on paper, including photographs, must be mounted on a wooden cradle board or framed with glass or Plexiglas; glass or Plexiglas must be clean (inside and out), unscratched and intact.
• Works on canvas must be framed or have finished edges. Gallery wrapped canvas is acceptable, provided that no staples are showing and the edges are clean and free of smudges and smears that are not in keeping with the stylistic intent of the artwork.
• Frames must be in good condition (no scratches or loose corners).
• Mats must be clean and smoothly cut.
• Screw eyes and hanging wire MUST be attached firmly to the back of the piece.
NO SAWTOOTH HANGERS! If an alternative method of hanging is required for the piece, it must be cleared with the Exhibitions Coordinator in advance of its submission to the show.
• Dust covers and/or other backing material must be in good condition, clean and intact.
• Artwork must be completely dry.
THREE DIMENSIONAL ART
• ACS provides pedestals. However, the artist must provide a sculpture pedestal for oversized work and/or works with special display requirements.
• Pedestal must have a broad base.
REVIEW COMMITTEE ON RECEIVING
• The Review Committee will inspect submissions for condition and adherence to the above policies.
• Inclusion in the exhibit is at the sole discretion of the juror(s) (not connected with ACS and is non-negotiable).
Work accepted for an exhibition may not be substituted, nor will any be permitted to be withdrawn during the exhibition, except in extenuating circumstances, and then only with the approval of the Exhibition Coordinator.
STATEMENT OF RESPONSIBILITY
All entries are left at the owner’s risk. Although precautions are taken, the Art Center is not responsible for damage or theft. Submission of work to any exhibition constitutes agreement on the part of the artist to provisions here set forth.
AWARDS – for OPEN SEASON only
Ten awards are given for this show. First, Second, and Third Place plus two Merit Awards and five Special Recognition Awards. First place winner: $1500, Second Place winner: $1000, Third Place winner: $500. Each Merit Award winner receives $250 and each Special Recognition Award winner receives $100.
All juried exhibitions require a non-refundable entry fee for each submission.
MEMBERS: 1 piece $20, 2 pieces $30, 3 pieces $35, diptych $25, triptych $35, quadriptych $45
STUDENT Members*: $5 for each entry. *must present a valid full-time student ID and must be a current member of ACS.
NON-MEMBERS: 1 piece $30, 2 pieces $50, 3 pieces $65, diptych $45, triptych $55, quadriptych $65
All work on exhibit must be for sale. No POR (Price on Request) or NFS (Not for Sale) is permitted in a juried show unless specified in an exhibition prospectus. The Art Center will collect Florida sales tax plus a 35% commission on all work sold. Artists receive payment of 65% of selling price. It is up to the artists to claim sales on their income tax.
Any exhibiting artist consents to the use of his/her name and the artist’s image(s) for purposes of promotion and advertisement by ACS. The artist waives any claim, including any claim for invasion of the right of privacy or copyright, against ACS, its directors, officers, employees, and agents.
• The Exhibition Coordinator must be notified in advance if an unconventional method of presentation or hanging is required. Policies of the host gallery will prevail.
• If accepted artwork is discovered to not be in compliance to the rules and regulations, the artist will be notified to pick up work and the entry fee will be refunded.
• Once an accepted piece of artwork is installed in a show, please do not ask to change its location. Once artwork is installed, it is in its final location and cannot be moved.